Sunday, November 28, 2010

I'm back again...this time with a fully moulded sailplane called "Spirit"


Since my wife's successful operation four weeks ago, I had not been flying my gliders. I took a break from my usual flying to look after her. I am indeed very fortunate to have a wife who supports my hobby. I Hope I will be able to share the joy of flying a glider with her. It will be a moment to treasure.
I have resumed my flying activity. While on leave to look after my wife, I assembles and my first fully moulded sailplane called the Spirit. I purchase it online from Soaring USA as I could not get it from any of the local rc shop as none of them carries it. The model E-Typhoon from Soaring Composites is very much similar to it. Since I wanted a glider which is different from it, I called up Bob from Soaring USA and he introduce the Spirit V2. It has the X tail instead of the V tail. I placed the order, made the payment and waited for it to arrive. I was surprised that the kit arrived in five days from the US. It was a fast delivery which I did not expect.
Not wanting to make any mistake in building and assembling the aircraft, I spent three weeks on it. It was time well spent. When the aircraft was ready to take the sky, it was a beauty.
Spirit had its maiden flight on one hot afternoon last week. To my amazement, it flew perfectly without much trim. It is a thermal sensitive sailplane. With one burst of power for launch, I have detected several thermals over the sites. It remained aloft without power for forty-five minutes before I landed it for inspection so that I cold perform some aerobatics with it during the next flight.
After a thorough inspection, Spirit took to the sky again to perform the usual aerobatics which I had practised with my Eagle 5 and the Siren. It performed steep dives, hard G turns, rolls, and some highspeed low passes. I tried doing a tips stall turn but it was rather difficult for it to tip stall on a normal flight. It will perform a tip stall if it get too slow but it was not that severed compared to my Eagle 5 which I bought from Soaring Composites.
Spirit is indeed a beauty to soar with and it is worth the money, time and efforts I put in.
When Spirit saw me assembling the E-Javelin, it was a little disheartened. However, I assure it that it will still received the same affection as before as it is my first fully moulded 'full house' sailplane.

No comments:

Post a Comment